OMG! I was so nervous to reupholster these chairs.
Mind you, they are our hand-me-down chairs from Adam's mom, but STILL: these are our only dining chairs and if I screwed it up, we would have had no where to sit!
This first thing I did was strip the seats from the chairs. I had to do a little inspecting on the bottom side of the chair to see what tools I needed (i.e. a screwdriver, flat head, and some Clorox wipes to get the dirt off of the metal before I spray painted).
Simple enough! I just did the exact same thing with the new fabric, lining the edges with stapes & started my pattern from the center and on both the left/right sides.
Once I cleaned the metal thoroughly and let the cleaning supply dry,
I took it outside to spray paint it.
Spray painting was a piece of cake!
I was very careful, though, that I chose a metallic paint.
I would think it would look rather funny spraying a matte color onto a metal surface.
Isn't this fabric darling?! I found it on clearance for $9 for 3/4 of a yard!
So I hacked away at the fabric, adjusting it so it was just right for my oddly shaped seats, and then I began stapling away! It's way simpler than I thought!
I wasn't exact with my staples. I don't care what it looks like at the bottom!
All I care about is if it will stay in place and looks great on top!
This was also my first time using a staple gun! That was interesting. I had no idea what kind of kickback I was going to get when I dealt the first staple. I imagine that's sort of what firing a gun feels like, after you pull the trigger and you feel the aftermath of the release. Anyway, not that it's a huge deal, but for me: using a staple gun successfully for the first time seems like an accomplishment (since I didn't staple my finger to my chair).
I love how it turned out! This was definitely a transformation!