Although the holiday season is starting to come to a close, I've got my mind on some delicious sweets that I can bake and enjoy in the coming year. Once New Year's Eve has come and gone, the ball has dropped, and 2016 has finally arrived, I can finally start to prepare for my second favorite holiday: Valentine's Day.
I know what you're probably thinking, "it's too early to be thinking about Valentine's Day!" I promise you, this holiday will sneak up on you if you are not careful. I've already started thinking about what our Valentine's Day plans will be, as well as some delicious and festive treats I can make for my hubby and all of our friends. Today, I'm sharing a decadent, chocolate chip Pizookie Skillet Cookie recipe that has a fun Valentine's Day twist on it: M&M's® Strawberry!
Chocolate chip pizookie is a Southwestern delicacy. The difference between pizookie and a skillet cookie is that pizookie is a skillet cookie plus ice cream on top. So many mom and pop restaurants in this region feature pizookie on their menu, and it's meant to be eaten by the whole table (or a few really hungry people!) But sometimes, I don't feel like going out to a restaurant to eat this deliciously moist and sweet cookie treat. Sometimes I just want to sit in my pajamas and devour pizookie with Adam in our living room while binge watching our newest favorite show. And this is exactly why I have this recipe!
Pizookie Skillet Cookie
*makes cookie batter for 1 large, 9-inch skillet
- 1/2 cup of M&M's® Strawberry, chopped + 1/2 cup of M&M's® Strawberry, whole pieces
- 1 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of butter extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream
- Drizzled chocolate sauce or hot fudge
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (F).
- Ensure that your skillet is cleaned, lightly oiled, and ready to bake with.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour with baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another large bowl or mixer, beat butter until it's softened. Pour in granulated sugar and dark brown sugar and mix well for 2-3 minutes. If you're using a mixer, use medium speed for about 2 minutes (or 3 minutes by hand).
- Beat in eggs with butter and sugar mixture. Continue to mix well until all ingredients are combined. Then, add in vanilla and butter extract and repeat.
- Slowly pour your flour mixture bowl into your egg and sugar mixture a little bit at a time. Repeat this process until you've poured all of your flour mixture into your egg and sugar mixture (your cookie dough will be very thick and should become more laborious to mix by hand).
- Pour in your chocolate chips and M&M's® Strawberry (both chopped and whole pieces).
- Carefully mix in candy pieces until they are well distributed into the cookie batter.
- Spread your cookie dough onto your skillet and use the backside of a spoon to spread it evenly throughout the skillet.
- Bake in the oven for about a half hour, and check the doneness of your cookie every 5 minutes after 30 minutes. For a really gooey pizookie, remove the skillet from the oven at 35 minutes and don't allow it too much time to cool (it's the softest when it's the warmest!) For a more cookie-like texture in the center of the pizookie, allow the skillet to bake for a few 5 minute increments (you can check the doneness by inserting a fork into the center to check the batter consistency). For the texture of our pizookie, it took 40 minutes to bake (I like it gooey enough but not too soft!)
- Remove skillet from the oven and top with two scoops of ice cream. Drizzle with your favorite chocolate sauce or hot fudge.
- Grab a few friends, a few spoons, and enjoy!
M&M's® Strawberry are my newest obsession! You might have also seen my most recent recipe for White Chocolate, Marshmallow and Strawberry Puppy Chow I shared over the weekend--which also includes M&M's® Strawberry.
Using M&M's® Strawberry instead of regular chocolate candies gives your baked goods a delightful hint of strawberry flavor (and they taste delicious alone as a snack, too!)
Shopping for your loved ones on Valentine's Day is usually the easiest (like your hubby, your mom, your dad, your best friend, etc). But it's the other kinds of people in your life you plan to give a Valentine's Day gift to that can cause some stress; rather than freaking out over what to get your boss and co-workers for the holiday, bring them some baked goods with some DOVE® Valentine's Day tins. Everyone can appreciate a homemade baked good, and holiday chocolate is a given!
This upcoming Valentine's Day, I'll be giving out homemade baked goods and chocolates with a card. M&M's® Strawberry and DOVE® Valentine's Day tins are a great buy at Walmart and they are a wonderful choice of candy to give to one of your Valentines (like a teacher, a neighbor, or even a co-worker!)
What are some of your go-to Valentine's Day treats?
Be sure to comment below and let us know!