Last week, Adam and I were able to spend a lot of time with family.
All week long and on Easter Sunday, we had the opportunity to hang out with our family members who we do not see very often. This was undoubtedly one of the best Easters we've had in many, many years. We had a group Easter egg hunt, and we got to watch all of the kids scavenge for their candy-filled eggs outside and all across the backyard. We enjoyed a home-cooked meal as a large family, and Adam and I even got to reclaim our seats at the "kids table," along with his siblings, cousins, and our niece (who I finally got to meet for the first time--and she just turned one!)
Spending time with family was wonderful! It's vacations like this last one that remind me why so many people choose to live close to their family. Adam and I enjoyed our time catching up with everyone, and then we jumped on a plane and returned back to Phoenix. This Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Carnitas recipe is inspired by our recent trip out to New England to visit family and all of the tasty food our family cooked--tied in with the Southwestern inspiration and ingredients that Adam and I adore.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Pork
- Pork Shoulder Blade Roast Boneless (we cooked 2.36 lbs)
- 1 cup of mild diced green chiles
- 1 2/3 cup of HERDEZ® Salsa Verde
- 1/3 cup of apple juice
- 1 cup of yellow onion
- 2/3 cup of cilantro
- Chop up and dice the onion and cilantro (or dice in a processor).
- Pour the apple juice and almost all of your HERDEZ® Salsa Verde into your slow cooker.
- Place the pork shoulder blade roast into the slow cooker.
- Scoop the diced cilantro and onion on top of the pork, and rub it into the meat evenly.
- Top the pork with the small amount of HERDEZ® Salsa Verde you have left.
- Cook the pork on low heat in the slow cooker for 5-6 hours (or until it's fully cooked tender to your desire). Every 2 hours or so, open the slow cooker and scoop a little bit of HERDEZ® Salsa Verde from the sides of the slow cooker and pour it on top of the pork.
- Serve the cooked carnitas on top of tortillas, and drizzle it with some of your favorite toppings (we love sour cream and a little bit of extra HERDEZ® Salsa Verde and cilantro!)
Enter the Celebrate Your Chef Giveaway
In honor of Día del Niño, HERDEZ® is hosting a Celebrate Your Chef sweepstakes! You can enter to win one of the following prizes:
- Grand Prize: 2 cooking classes for 2 (parent & child) plus $1000
- 2nd Place: 1 cooking classes for 2 (parent & child) plus $300
- 3rd Place: Child cooking gift basket
- Weekly prizes/honorable mentions: Child size Día del Niño apron.