These breakfast skillet potatoes with egg, cheese, and sausage are hearty and perfect for weekend brunch.
Weekends are made for brunch, and the best kind of brunch is packed with all of my favorite breakfast fixings. Eggs, cheese, potatoes, and plenty of juicy and tender sausage!
Since I am counting down the days until the weekend, I cannot stop thinking about Sunday brunch and bottomless mimosas. Most of my favorite brunch spots here in the Valley are almost completely dead right now, and I am loving it because all of the snow birds and college students have retreated from the city since the heat literally feels like death here. There's always a silver lining to Phoenix summers--the city is empty and there are no lines at my favorite restaurants!
As much as I love going out for brunch on the weekends with Adam and our friends, sometimes I enjoy staying in and having a little siesta at home. This weekend, Adam and I will be staying in and enjoying some homestyle breakfast skillets packed with caribou sausage. During my most recent trip to Alaska, I enjoyed eating lots of seafood and game meats and was so happy when I got a package of caribou sausage delivered to our house! This skillet recipe is so delicious and absolute comfort food goals!
Breakfast Skillet with Egg, Cheesy Potatoes, and Caribou Sausage
- 1 large egg
- 2-3 red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup of shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of caribou sausage
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- Cut a couple of red potatoes into small, 1-inch pieces.
- Spray the skillet with coconut oil non-stick cooking spray and heat about 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter in the pan on medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted in the skillet, lay the potato pieces and sausage into the skillet cut-side-down. Cook the potatoes and sausage through uncovered for about 8-10 minutes.
- While the potatoes and sausage cook, prepare an egg whichever way you prefer. Adam likes his eggs sunny side up and I prefer mine poached.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of the potatoes and sausage, and broil the skillet in the oven for about 1 minute or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Finally, top off your breakfast skillet with your egg and serve hot! Sprinkle with ground black pepper and enjoy!
What do you like in your breakfast skillet?